29 December 2007

Bonne Année



So this is being written under the influence of a new year's anticipation. How about you? Hoping for something better? new? challenging? exciting? life changing? Or just for calm, quiet, good health and no worries? I know that one can't test one's courage cautiously -- and I am well known for charging in and taking over -- but I think this last two years has taught me to walk in softly and assess the situation before committing to anything ~ including loving it or hating it. There is after all a middle ground, though I am not comfortable standing there for long!

This new year brings many questions for us. Will we still be here for another year? Where will we go next if not here? Can I tolerate not knowing? My friends on both sides of the ocean are more than a little curious about how this is going to unfold.


In the meantime, I am going to sit with the uncertainty and follow my plan of traveling, working and making the best of the hand that's been dealt, but that doesn't mean I am not envisioning the hand that I want. Where will you land in 2008? Are you sure?

This photo by the way is in Florence looking out over the city from the gardens at the Pitti Palace, where there was a china (like the dishes) museum, which I would have skipped, but it was there, so I walked through and found this great art made of silver and conch shells. You never know what you might find if you walk through that random open door.