16 October 2006

Jen's Recommendations for your NOVEMBER ballot

Let's start with the ISSUES ---

Issues YES ON 2 The ballot issue about the minimum wage in the state of Ohio was brought to you by the UNIONS, who brought you the weekend, health insurance, pension plans...That usually means I support it, and in this case I will say YES on 2

BTW -- if you believe that it will "break small business, destroy our economy and eliminate more jobs than it will support" you need to read more about living wage economies all over the US.

Issue 3 is about gambling. I don't know what to do with it. I still have to read it to decide if I like it or not.

NO on 4 --- YES on 5. There are two SMOKING amendments. VOTE ON BOTH OF THEM. 4 is the Constitutional Amendment is brought to you by big tobacco companies, and is a definite NO. Frankly, you really have to wonder about any Constitutional Amendment that supports behavior known to cause cancer. I can't stand smoking ~ but I will fight for your right to do it -- and my right to expect fresh air if I have to be inside with you.

YES on Issue 5 is brought to you by the American Cancer Society through SMOKE FREE OHIO, who urge you to vote NO on 4 and YES on 5. 5 would make all public places smoke free, and would allow for you to smoke in private or in a designated area.

AND NOW the candidates....

Okay first for US SENATE - Sherrod Brown goes to the senate. He is a hero to a lot of people in Clermont County and further east for his loooong history of fighting against environmental destruction, and for the rights of the farmers and the workers.

Governor - Ted Strickland and Lee Fisher Did I mention that Dr. Strickland is a psychologist? Do you remember what a great Attorney General Lee Fisher was? This partnership will clean up the mess that Taft has left us in, without being beholden to the cronies that paid for the membership to the old boys club.

Attorney General - Marc Dann, honestly, I would have prefered Subodah Chandra, but the party picked Marc Dann, and given the kinds of investigations going on in Ohio, into Ohio's current office holders, I think we need a Democrat in the Atty. General's seat.

Secretary of State - Jennifer Brunner is definitely my choice, though Greg Hartmann is not a bad or corrupt guy, he is just a Republican who is anti choice. Jennifer on the other hand has been very helpful in several causes I am very passionate about, namely helping to forward the Repeal of Article 12.

Treasurer - Richard Cordray, is my number 1 2006 election pick. See the previous blog for more info about Rich. By the way, he is a 5x Jeopardy Champion, among his many other interesting qualities and abilities....

Auditor - Barbara Sykes, I think this sums it all up...“We should not have to rely on newspapers to find out Ohio is investing in RARE COINS AND BOTTLES OF WINE. An Auditor should perform the duties of their job thoroughly, regardless of party affiliation.”~ Barbara Sykes No more wooden nickles, vote for Barbara Sykes.

Supreme Court Races:
Ben Espy, and William O'Neil are the Dems. Ben Espy is a particularly strong candidate for the job. William O'Neil is running against someone who voted 91% of the time with the corporations who made the largest campaign contributions to him. I like O'Neil for his independence.

CONGRESS -
In my district, which has been forever Republican...
Let me just say I would vote for anyone other than the current Republican--- so this is easy for me. VOTE FOR VICTORIA WULSIN. She is intelligent, caring, open-minded, and far from a puppet of the party, like her opponent.

If you are on the West Side of town you can vote for JOHN CRANLEY http://www.johncranley.com/ Let's work together to get a Democratic Majority and put some balance into this debate. The Bush Administration are lame ducks. We can't continue to destroy our reputation as a nation with integrity. We can't refuse to protect and pay our soldiers, refuse to uphold our prior commitments and act contrary to the best interest of our environment, our individual freedoms, and our overall morale.