08 September 2006

Whew, I made it back without dry eyes or against FAA regulations!

Well, I arrived in Gay Parie as someone called it without too much uneasiness. That is except for accidentally carrying my new bottle of eyedrops into the airport so that I was wondering for 3 hours while I waited for my flight to board, "should I throw them away or try to get them on the plane with me?" You see, I need them, but the loud speaker announced NO LIQUIDS, creams or gels in any quantity every 10 minutes. So I tried to think of all the reasons that I would use when confronted with the fact that I had eyedrops in my bag. I did think maybe no one would ask, and that would be great. Fortunately, just before boarding, the announcement was made that over-the-counter eye medication in less an 2 oz quantity is permitted on board, along with a host of other liquids. My advice is ask first, throw away later. They didn't allow mouthwash or toothpaste, so I am sure the gum and breath strips marketers are having a hey day.

By the way, don't get to the airport 3 hours early - there is no need for that, 2 is plenty. Even going from France to Cincinnati, 2 would have been plenty. Though in France, immediately prior to getting on the plane there was a full body pat down and very thorough bag search, so you do use the whole 2 hours standing in line waiting your turn....but there were also people bringing bottles of wine on board, so there must be plenty of exceptions to that liquid rule, too.