11 September 2006

A relaxing fall weekend

This second weekend in September has been beautiful here. After running errands all day on Saturday, and cutting the grass, stirring the compost bin, and weeding the flower beds again, we cleaned up and headed to the neighbors for a light dinner and then to see fireworks. JUST like I did last week in Cincinnati! How funny. On Sunday we went to the market in the morning, then later in the evening we went into Paris for dinner with another GE-er. All-in-all, excellent.

We started the w/e with a trip to the post office, so far so good. Then we went to City Hall. We were looking for local programs for swimming and for french lessons. I am working so much now that I think I will switch to local lessons if I can find them. We were also trying to exchange our GPS system for either a new one or another model, but apparently that never happens in France, no matter how much of a lemon your product is. I would not recommend buying the VIAMICHELIN GPS system. Their customer service is terrible (though they often tell you it is fabulous) and every repair means the machine has to be sent away for as long as three weeks. We have it back right now, and it is running, but when we explained we don't trust that it works, the man said, "get a map." Hmmm. That's why we bought the GPS system.... Not exactly the customer service I was looking for.

We went to Catherine and Phillipe's for dinner Saturday Night, we took SKYLINE CHILI dip! Everyone had a good chuckle about that and even the kids ate this strange food, made with cream cheese, skyline chili, topped with cheddar cheese, and diced lettuce and tomatoes and topped with black olives. Of course there was some debate about what substance to use in substitution for cream cheese. I chose something called cream 15%. It is kind of a cross between sour cream and cream cheese. Pat bought the cheddar cheese and got a chuckle when the young man behind the cheese counter said (in a french accent), "cheddah" correcting Pat's American pronunciation.




Speaking of good food, Pat made a great salad for lunch on Sunday. He put sliced boiled potatoes and chopped tomatoes, on top of mixed leaf lettuce and then topped with a mustard, honey and buttermilk and herb dressing - and then added grilled salmon. It was fabulous. We sat in the garden and soaked up the sun.

I tried to put some of our recent food purchases in the photo for you. When I was home, people often asked me about what I ate. Well, I mix it up. The pumpkin butter from Cincy (Coffee Emporium) and the breakfast crackers are my usual breakfast, high fiber, low calories and good energy. Of course there are always fabulous breads (like the sesame 1/2 loaf on the left). Notice the beautiful peach and purple-ish mangoes. They are so good. The small tomato is from our own plant, but the larger one is from the market. There are a couple of magazines in the foreground, my french recipe mags. I love them.

Also, the little orange plant on the right was for sale at the market Sunday. It is an indoor plant, but I don't know what it is. I will try to keep it alive (unlike the orchids that I think I have recently killed) and let you know if I find out more.