11 September 2006

The 5th Anniversary of Sept 11th was very sad

I awoke this morning sad to think it had been 5 years and we were no safer than we were that beautiful September morning, 5 years ago. Today, instead of seeing the Twin Towers though, I watched Europe take note of Sept. 11th. They did so asking some tough questions and honoring our dead with dignity and compassion. Their programs were intelligent and thought provoking. Then, I watched the coverage of the ceremonies in New York, Philly and DC.

Jake Speed sings, "Today has been a lonesome day. September 11th has been a lonesome day, and tomorrow is looking like the same." He asks, "Have you told your loved one goodbye today?" Jake, not so delicately reminds us that every minute, every goodbye can be our last, "fare-thee-well my love."

So what I know, and try very hard to do, is to tell those who mean the most or even just a little to me -- Thank you for your presence in my life.

Americans will never forget the outpouring of support that we had from the whole world five years ago. Thanks to my European friends for that, and for their sentiments that were expressed to me today.