
We are bicycle riders. We have been riding our entire relationship, and my first major life purchase was a Schwinn ($169.00) 30+ years ago. We now own four bicycles, a Colnago, a Trek 2200, a beautiful tandem, and all the gear, and a couple of really old hybrids that we left at home. Pat will ride in any weather, but for me there is nothing better than the beautiful 65 degree days and just going out there without a plan. We have toured the Rockies with full gear, ridden around Vermont on the tandem with Bike Vermont, led and rode in Cincinnati Cycle Club rides, and have been all over Ohio and Kentucky. So now we are venturing out into France.
And now, just this week, the weather was glorius. Pat was out of town, so I could ride all weekend and just explore.
So Friday morning around 10, I finally get out the door but didn't notice some cracked yellow paint on the front fork of my beloved Trek 2200. When I arrived at the bank though, as I was locking up the bike, I saw flaking paint and with a sense of dread, remembered that last week, while riding along and not paying close attention I had hit a curb, but then I didn't realize what damage I had done. Now however, I was sick. Can this be fixed?? I carefully wheeled home, pretty much fighting off panic. I knew this was going to be complicated to explain and to ask questions about - in french - remember. I needed another plan.
If only I were home. But wait, I am going home, I will send my dilemma to Mitch and John at BioWheels in Maderia. They are the home of die-hard bikers, great mechanics, excellent products and even better karma. But it was only 6 a.m. in Cinti. So I waited. I scanned the net for awhile and rejoiced when I found I could get replacement forks, so by the time I had called Pat (nearly 8 a.m. his time), and heard from Mitch (first thing, might I add) I was in a lot better mood.
So, I lose the biking for the weekend, instead I will just go sightseeing! It looks like I am going to get new forks, and have them installed here. Not so bad all in all. I can practice my french with the local bike shop and know that I am giving them the right parts to do the repairs. It sure pays to have friends all over the world. Maybe BioWheels wants to do a french tour....