18 November 2009

Gateau au Fromage Blanc is apparently not the same as Soufflée au Fromage Blanc

Well, if you have been following along, you know that we had some kind of dessert in Vitry-Le-Françoise called (I thought) gateau du fromage blanc.  How-some-ever my darling husband has recently mentioned that maybe it wasn't gateau --- it was soufflée and that's why mine didn't turn out exactly like the one in the bakery...I thought the one I made was dry and not enough flavor.

So...he tells me... Soufflée. I have taken photos to share with you, which are now squirreled away somewhere in one of our 176 boxes/packages to be loaded on the truck tomorrow morning. That said - I have had time while watching the movers, playing mafia wars, and working on translating a script about gypsies for our french documentary maker friend --- to look for the soufflée au fromage blanc" recipe.

Here is what I came up with:
Ingrédients :
- 1 fromage blanc faisselle 500g 20 ou 40% de matière grasse
- 2 oeufs
- 1 grosse cuiller à soupe de farine (ou fécule)
- sel et poivre
- muscade (facultatif)
- 2-3 cuillères à soupe de crème fraîche épaisse

Préparation :
Bien égoutter le fromage blanc (pendant un bon 1/4 d'h), dans un moule à soufflé, mélanger au fouet le fromage blanc, les 2 oeufs entiers, la crème, assaisonner.
Ajouter la farine (ou fécule), pour lier le tout,
la préparation doit être bien lisse.
Enfourner à four chaud (th 7-8, soit 210-240°F/180/190°C) pendant 30-40 mn.
Le soufflé doit monter : laisser se former la croûte, qui noircit (mais elle sera croustillante, et très bonne !)
Sortir du four (ne pas essayer de démouler)  et servir immédiatement, chaud.

As I made a complete bungle of my last translation - I am not going to translate this one until I can get to a working kitchen and try it there - but in the meantime, you can check out an english version at Epicurious that looks like it might be just about right.
I will let you know. Happy experimenting.