28 April 2008

Awesome tomato red pepper sauce




My friend Lisa has started a personal coaching business. She is very insightful and coaches you to find out who you are and how you approach your overall health. She incorporates healthy eating habits, recipes and basic exercise routines into your daily wellness. She asks about eating for the sake of hunger, comfort, or as a cure to loneliness. Or maybe you are skipping meals as a way to diet, getting stuck on the couch instead of out for a walk, all that stuff. She will recommend new vegies, cutting out the processed stuff, good books, websites, local grocers, you name it.
She is a wealth of info.

I hired Lisa to help me stay on track for healthy eating ideas and to get applause for my fitness attempts via our regular "check-ins." It's kind of like having Weight Watchers plus a personal coach, though we don't focus on the number on the scale, but more the balance and consistency in my exercise and healthy (or not) eating. With having a phone call set up for every two weeks, I know I won't go for months without exercising or without keeping an eye on my eating and weight, and I still get that external motivation to keep the internal motivation going.

Last week we talked about a recipe that is awesome...

Lisa's idea was that you make this into a soup, and then maybe add an ounce of roasted chicken, etc. She was looking for good ways to get more vitamins and fresh veggies in my diet and knows I like hot foods. I modified her recipe, by cooking it down to make a great sauce, that you could juice back up to a soup, or thin sauce for couscous, but alone it is really good on pasta.
Roast two large red bell peppers so that the skins are bubbly. Let them
cool,then cut them in pieces (to be added to the chopper later).

Saute 1
large red onion, 1 stalk of celery, a couple of small carrots chopped up for
about 10-15 minutes in a large cast iron skillet with a little bit of olive
oil.

Then put the sauteed veggies, the chopped roasted pepper and a can
of great whole peeled tomatoes and their juices in a sauce pan and simmer
gently for about 1/2 hour. Add 1 Tablespoon of good balsamic vinegar and
cook about 10 minutes longer.

(For Soup move on to the next step
now. For sauce, let it cook down slowly for about an hour.)

Purée the
whole mess (in small batches if you have to) and return to a big bowl mixing
well. I let it chill completely and then put it in freezer bags in 2 cup
amounts.


So far, I have taken one bag of sauce and added 2 cups of chicken bouillon to it for the sauce on cous-cous veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions, whatever...) and reheated the whole thing for about 20 minutes on the stove top.

I have also added 1 cup of ck bouillon and some roasted chicken and croutons for a tomato pepper soup.

Tonight, I am going to use a bag of it on pasta as a side dish to go with salmon cooked on the grill. Add a little chopped fresh basil and good Parmesan and I think we are on to something that Lisa would applaud, and I am happy to eat.