07 February 2008

Treasures from La La

Several years ago, I had the amazing fortune of meeting Cheryl. I was nearing the end of a long internship in La la land, and was living on the grounds of the state psychiatric hospital where I had had the opportunity to meet and treat some really interesting people. Cheryl was hoping to come along behind me, and also do her internship there.

You know how when you meet someone you just instantly know you have known this person your whole life?? Well Cheryl is one of those people for me. We have only actually been in each other's presence for less than 12 hours, but I can honestly say we have both contributed greatly to each other's lives. I happened to have the opportunity to make a strong case for her to be accepted into the program after me, and either with me or without me she was accepted, and proved to be an excellent choice. She certainly didn't ask for my help, and I never told her that I spoke up for her, but I was very glad I did, especially when I heard how much she benefitted and gave back to the program.

Since we met, she has sent me "snippets" every week day for about 5 or more years. Sometimes the snippets make me smile, occasionally laugh out loud, and when I really need it, they allow me to cry, like a hug from a good friend.

Well, today is Cheryl's birthday (according to her darling son), and this was the snippet Cheryl sent out today:

"Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these."
~ Susan B Anthony

I couldn't agree more with Ms. Anthony, and I couldn't be happier for a treasure that was completely unexpected back one unadvertised spring day in 2001. The pleasure has continued to give and grow.