Make no mistake about who I support --- it's Hillary Clinton for me.
I know that's not a surprise to you who know me and I know some won't agree with me. She is not the perfect candidate -- none of them ever are. I do know though that she will fight for me, and for people who have less than me, while also building up those who have more so that the economy can get back on a forward march. I know she will protect my right to choose what to do with my body, and will choose supreme court justices that will protect my privacy, and my freedom. I know this because she has demonstrated this -- for the last 30 years.
I know her. Why? Because she is a lot like my mother and many other women whom I respect deeply. She has fought behind others, supported and pushed others ahead, and has not hesitated when asked to do it. She has also stepped up and taken charge when the opportunity rises -- we should be thankful for people who are willing to lead, particularly when she has been kicked for doing so--but whenever the opportunity arises, like all leaders, you are going to fault someone for taking charge? And we are talking about choosing a presidential candidate??
She has made hard choices, sometimes wrong choices, and you are angry that she does not apologize for those choices? Have you ever talked to a judge who made a hard choice? You can't be a leader and be constantly second guessing yourself. She accepts that she made them, and she knows what she was thinking at the time, and she goes on from there. Step up and lead something -- make the hard choice -- it's so much easier to just sit quietly in your room blaming others for making the "wrong" call.
Or maybe you just don't like her defensive stance. When HRC walks in a room, she looks like she is ready to pick a fight. Any wonder why? Can you think of any other person who has been more demonized for others' political gain in recent history? The cold war was over - where was the next battle? -- The Rs made the Clinton's the embodiement of everything evil/liberal in the US, sure they weren't perfect, and those who screamed the loudest, are still screaming in fact -- they were perfect??? they are better???-- some people fell for that propaganda. What Hillary emanates is the wall that has been built after years of being second guessed, second stringed, and overlooked when she knew her ideas were sound.
I find her human, courageous, devoted, intelligent, and driven to correct a lot of the social injustice that has been laid on this country for a long time. Some say they don't like her because it's all about her --- that's the real irony. It's actually all about her solutions that have not been put forward yet, and she thinks she can deliver them. She is tired of having her solutions be ignored. If it were just about her she could have quit a long time ago. She got the double dose of commitment to give back and she can't let that go.
Oh, you think it's arrogance? It takes that level of arrogance (or confidence if you aren't HRC) to get there, and anyone who acts humble, and apologetic for his opinion is lying to you. Let's face it, you might say you want a leader who you'd like to drink a beer with -- ah shucks, heh heh and all, but how'd that go for you in the last few years?
As for being "divisive" I think that's double speak, too, but, -- let's see -- You pick what it is about a candidate or really to be honest what is it about you -- that causes you to fight against them -- too liberal, too conservative, too militaristic, too black, too white, too rich, too religious, too successful, too capitalistic, too socialistic for you to be tolerant of the different opinion? So you fight back. Well, all politics is divisive, we choose sides -- there are winners and losers --- we even have bumper stickers 4 or 8 years later that proclaim what team we were on. And, even the most charming candidates will choose something or someone that someone won't like, given enough time in the job.
Drop out? Not vote? Run away? No, choose what issues drive you towards working together for a common goal. For me, I know where I stand, and I watch for actions. I follow the route to the goals.
I am going to keep working for correcting the wrongs of the past -- recent and remote. I am going to vote for the candidate who has proven to me she can make the hard choices, deliver the results, and can turn this country around. I listened to what the New Yorkers said about their senator, she delivers. That's the historical precedent I want to see.