09 December 2006

Walking Tour Vienna, Part 2

At the next large intersection, after passing the home of the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, I came to a very impressive collection of massive, very ornate buildings, all clearly from different eras, but the enclave must have been important at one time or another. At one end was a fountain celebrating some military victory.

I headed towards the Ressel Park and passed the rather non descript building of the Vienna Historical Museum, a statue of Brahms and then came upon these amazing public transportation houses, designed by Otto Wagner.



In the adjoining park was a Christmas Bazaar, with beautifully electic jewelry and uniquely designed bags being sold by the artists that created them. I didn't buy anything, but was very impressed by the art work.

The trail led me to a very contemporary museum, near a beautiful odd looking building with a flower covered dome in the center.

After a pit stop in the hotel, I headed back out and found the “New Market” a fresh food and veggie market that stretched for about 8 city blocks and was three rows wide! Fabulous smells, really interesting fruits and meats and cheeses and fish…



Soon, I came upon the beautiful facades of three elegant 6-8 story buildings, about 8 windows wide and decorated by Otto Wagner and friends, probably in the 1910s or 20s.

I wish my photos did these buildings justice, but since it was dark at 4:30 in the afternoon, lighting was not at my advantage. Like the train station buildings the first building was embedded with art deco gilded designs and a very elaborate grate served as the balcony railings. The building right next to that was covered in majolica tiles, and the true colors were magnificent. (This is a postcard of the majolica covered building, copyright Walter Zednicek, 2005.)

The third building in the row was also very ornate, but much more baroque with fine carvings and elaborate balconies made from the limestone.