09 December 2006

A Two Hour tour of Vienna...

I started a little late because of work, but after a fabulous lunch of spinach and cheese in strudel dough at café Schwarzenberg accompanied by a Soda Citrozen and followed by a cappuccino; I headed out to find the emblems of the city.

I headed in “any old direction” hoping I would stumble across something interesting, and found my self in the Stadtpark entrance where there were two amazing sculpted “portals” overlooking a trickling stream that is apparently a river that is regulated for some reason.

As I looked upon a gilded Johann Strauss, surrounded by fancifully happy admirers,

I heard ducks quacking in the background at a lovely little lake. There were lots of strolling visitors, on both sides of the river.

There were some tributes to men hard at work, and to men who had worked creatively.

Emil Jakob Schindler “sits in the bushes” according to the Eyewitness Travel Guide to Vienna, the narrator for this walk. There is also Schubert, Makart and a beautiful clock tower.

Upon leaving that park, I heard a rapid firing of fire crackers and saw 4 little boys running from the park. They were apparently heading the same direction as me, as shortly later, as I tried to set up a Beethoven photo, I heard the firecrackers again nearby, and a loud titter when I jumped at the noise. I turned around and took their photo -

much to their surprise and to the consternation of one of them, maybe I impacted his future decision making – I can only hope.