24 October 2006

Whew the weather is changing here

Nearly every morning for awhile now the sky was a gray cloud filled backdrop to an otherwise fairly warm day that promised to be beautiful around 12 or 1:00 at the latest. The last few days though have reminded me of the gray, cold, wet weather that seemed to come last November and didn't leave until May. Oh sure, there were moments of beautiful days, like Good Friday, when my friend Debbie was here for the day, but other than that, it wasn't until the second week of June that we could really count on the good weather. But for instance right now there is a glimmer of sunshine, and I am hoping the storm that raged all night last night, and all of this morning will blow out. It seems to be fairly windy here a lot of the time, too.

Apparently Paris is only a few hours away from the ocean, and so maybe we get some coast-like weather, but also, we are located at about the same latitude as Seattle, which always seems to surprise folks when I tell them that. Last year's gray days lasted "unseasonably long" according to the locals, and for me they were really depressing. So this year, I am taking extra precautions. We already have a couple of trips planned that should help with the "grays" as I call them.

Our first trip is to the coast of Brittany France to see Mt. St. Michel and the region called "finistere" or the end of the world. This rocky, craggy look at the Atlantic (from the other side of the ocean) will be filled with Celtic legends and middle ages architecture. We will stay in 4 different B&Bs from Rennes to Roscoff to Paimpol to St. Malo. I can't wait to go, and to send back some stories and pictures.

Our second trip will be to the same coast, but a little further south as we head to Dakar, Senegal and the hot sands of an African beach. We are going the week before Christmas and the travel agent assured us that the weather would be beautiful. The water will be cold (it's still the Atlantic) but there will be sunshine.

I don't have any pictures yet, but will be sure to get back to you about the adventures. In the meantime, I have my little heater running, though I haven't turned on the big boiler for the radiator heat yet.