30 June 2006

4th of July in France


I have had a bunch of questions - what are you going to do for the 4th? Well am I as American as apple pie and baseball? You betcha. I am going to wave my flags, and make apple pie for my big guy, who has to work on Tuesday and watch the semi finals of the world cup!!!

But I started my celebrating early. You probably weren't listening, but I asked Michael Grayson on WNKU's friday request show to play the Talkin' F-Word Blues. If you were listening, Michael even told listeners the request came from a long distance call from France!!!

This Jake Speed and the Freddies song is about being allowed to order french fries, french dressing and make coffee in a french press is a statement about our fragile freedoms in the US. I figured that was my "don't forget that there are those of us who are free-thinking and not afraid to speak up, still left in this world" flag for the day. By the way, if you get a chance to see Jake Speed at Paddlefest, tell him I sent you. He knows about his international fan club!

By the way, DON'T MISS PADDLEFEST - party on Friday night at Kellogg Marina. Tell Brewster, Jenny O says she misses him. You'll know Brewster, he's always smiling, very short, has a huge camera lens, sometimes a bullhorn and he moves really fast!!

So check back after the holiday for my update. I will be rooting for France to advance in the World Cup, dining with neighbors on Sunday, and thinking about being free to think and choose my life style, free to speak my beliefs and free to practice, or not, whatever religion I choose. Thank you to those who provided me those freedoms, and thanks also to those who have failed in their attempts to stop me. The battle reinforces our perception of the value of the right.

I disapprove of what you say, but will fight to the death to defend for your right to say it. - Beatrice Hall, The Friends of Voltaire, 1906.