02 April 2006

APRIL FOOLS

My all time favorite April Fools are Kim and Pete. They got married on April Fools Day. Nothing could have been more romantic. John Smith, Mayor of Silverton, officiated at the couple's home where 40-50 of the closest friends and family squeezed in. This was truly a wonderful occasion, as are most weddings, but this was the most special. I know that everyone who attended, and those who wished we could, cherished every moment. You see, it was Pete's last day with any of us. He died on April 2nd, 11 years to the day after his father also died of cancer, and a few days short of Pete's 56th birthday.

Being a million miles away when something like this happens is harder than climbing to the top of A Basin with a fully loaded bicycle. It is harder than remodeling your house, harder than completing a dissertation and harder than failing one's comps on the first try. It is gut wrenching, and helpless doesn't begin to describe the emotion. Skype and email help, but that doesn't wrap arms around a grieving friend or kiss a dying friend good bye.

Many folks have said what a great opportunity this is to live in France. Okay, maybe it is, and I am making the best of it. I do enjoy a lot of it as I go along, and will make sure that I do. But don't kid yourself. I traded away a lot for door number three. To those who still think it is just a great idea though - I say, "April Fools."