Now on to more pressing issues -- the blooming of the daffodils and recent baking adventures....

I don't remember if I updated you on the cheesecake - rave reviews, and a recent request for a repeat performance.
The next project - banana bread using my same old recipe. It's from my 1980s version of the Better Homes and Garden cookbook, where they still call for shortening. Now I didn't look for shortening in my local grocer, I just went with a couple of tablespoons of oil. The blackened bananas were sooo perfect and I added the blonde raisins that we see everywhere here. The only missing ingredient was the baking powder, but I used cake flour with levant, and baking soda as called for. The bread was excellent. A little less sweet than I remember, and the flour does not result in such a fine grain. There are about eight different varieties of flour here.
Meatloaf -- My Dad makes the greatest meatloaf in the whole world, and I used to always call him for the recipe when I wanted to make one, but no matter what I did, it didn't turn out the same.
Well...this time I am sure I will get it right.
1/3 ground pork
2/3 ground beef Dad says use good quality ground chuck.
about a cup of bread crumbs
two eggs
1 finely chopped onion
a can of tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste. I like to throw in some oregano, too. I am not sure Dad did that. Mix all this in a big bowl with your hands if you can stand it, then pat it into a loaf pan. I like to spread some tomato paste mixed with oregano on top.
Bake at 300F or 155C till the inside temp is well done. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving, and serve with the best mashed potatoes you can make. I know there won't be the greatest anymore, Shirley is no longer with us, but there are plenty of very good mashed potatoes out there.
This meal is great for leftovers - cold or hot.