06 March 2006

Pitchers and Catchers Please Report


I met Pete about 14 years ago. He was sunbathing on his front deck with rock and roll blaring (probably Richard Thompson) when he leaned over to introduce himself. He was topless. He asked if I was offended that he wasn't wearing a shirt and I said something like, "No, but if you will feel more comfortable I will take my shirt off too." We have been great friends ever since. Pete is one in a million. He has more friends than anyone I ever met - not just acquaintances, real friends. He doesn't just meet people - he gets to know you, really listens to you, believes in you and then he never lets you trail away out of his life. It is really amazing to see the kind of people he attracts, too, because they are talented and funny, kind and real people, just like him.

Pete's passion is Mets baseball. I don't just mean he follows it, he lives it. His license plate is made up of all the Met major victories, so far. Our summer cookouts and outings revolve around the Mets schedule. We are all happier when the Mets win, because Pete is happier then, too.

Pete is always concerned about others. He really thinks about what others think and feel. Our first year next door to Pete, at the beginning of the baseball season, Pete told me about his fantasy baseball team. I said I didn't know anything about it, but I asked him if I could apprentice with him as the coach. When he found out what a feminist I was, (he is too, by the way) he was worried I would be mad that he had drafted a player who was in trouble for Domestic Violence. I said, "well let's see how he hits the baseball as opposed to his wife, and trade him if he is a loser." Pete was thrilled with that, though I think we later traded the loser.

For about as long as I have known Pete, every year, around the middle of February he would call me to tell me, "It is the best day of the whole year, I just heard it.'Pitchers and catchers report today.'" He once explained to me that those five words heralded spring. They were filled with hope for the new year and they reminded us of the promise of all the enjoyment that each new (baseball) season brings. But you know its not just baseball, it is passion for something you love. That is the best part about Pete. He is not afraid to show his passion, even to wear it on his sleeve or his license plate...

Well Pete -- I know I am a little late this year because I just realized pitchers and catchers reported to practice on Feb 18 -- but dial in the Mets station, let's get fired up for a brand new season, and hope with all our hearts for a miracle. GO METS!