27 April 2009

Plastic recycling comes to St. Maur - updated

Et Voila - Here is the recycling bin for La Varenne. As you can see it is loaded to the gills! with all the accumulated plastic, cans and paperboard products I had been saving for the grand event of recycling.

Since then, I have been setting out less than one bag full of garbage, and less and less recycling - though with the house guests this month - there were quite a few beer and wine bottles! Hmmm...





In honor of Earth Day, I am pleased to announce that we will soon be recycling plastic in St. Maur - one of the wealthiest suburbs in France, where the garbage is picked up 3x per week, but the only recycling - newspapers, magazines and glass --- are taken to bins located along the back driveways and streets. I have found that they are widely used, and I suspect fairly accurately, but alas, no plastic, cartons, or cardboard. But finally all that is about to change. I am not taking credit for it - but don't think I haven't been working on it. I started right after I moved here, and have not quit with the mantra since then. Every election cycle, I have introduced myself to the candidates or their representatives and started on the conversation about recycling the plastic. Well finally my wildest dream for this sleepy town has been promised - and in spades! According to the last report the new curbside recycling containers - specially designed for automatic dumping will be delivered next month, and the curbside pickups will start in June! It's a good thing, too. I have been saving all of the plastic bottles and cardboard containers for nearly a year - in hopes of this development!
Rumor has it that the previous mayor (for 30 years)- who was older than dirt did not see any need for recycling, so it wasn't until the new mayor was elected over a year ago that anyone listened.

As soon as the new container arrives, I will be sure to put a photo of it on this post for "posterity's sake."