11 March 2009

Tang Attendants

There were many wonderful outcomes of the Wiki project. For example, I had not paid much attention to the Asian art in the various museums I had visited in the past.


Let me start by saying, I was such a neophyte when I started looking at art that I really just looked for the big name painters. Then, while exploring a 16th century church in Rome, I fell upon an artist named Caravaggio and his painting of St. Michael and The Money Changers. That started my search of the art that naturally appealed to me. And that leads us to Wiki Loves Art...

In the Wiki Loves Art criteria - they gave about 5 categories per museum. Within each category there were usually about 10 themes (i.e. Asian Art: Tang, Han, Ming, Buddha, Vishnu, Tomb Guardians, Horses, Dogs). After reading all I could about the Victoria and Albert, I decided that I would focus on the Asian Art sections of the museum, because that was something that I knew little of.

First of all - I am so happy to begin to know this art. Second of all, I found "the girls." The Tang attendants at the V&A are displayed in a row of 8 figures which just tickled me for some reason. I probably took 20 photos (thank you digital) of them. I love this shot down the can-can row. But thought I better take one straight on for Wiki and
the museum. Here are those two shots.


Then, I went to the TAFT. Also in their Asian Art category they mentioned TANG. And sure enough -- there were 2 Tang Attendants, though they were displayed in separate boxes, and the background was a venetian blind on the window behind them.

It really wasn't the best display, but Lisa has some fancy software that might be able to get rid of that background. I will add it if I get it fixed.


Then, I went to Indy - and now I was looking for these gals - who in my mind had become the mascots of this whole endeavor, and sure enough Indy had one. That one turned out to be one of my best "museum style" shots, and I just love her.