26 November 2008

A busy week

You might think it odd, but I have started french lessons again, though we probably will only be here for another 6 months. After spending several weeks in the US this election season, I found that I had pushed french out of my brain to make room for red counties and blue counties and now needed to work really hard to get it back in there. So I started this week doing 1.5 hours on Mon. and Wed. continuing my previous training, now with Paul-Elise who came from the same French language school we attended our first two summers here.

I knew after Catherine died that my language deficits were getting in the way of my being able to understand the finer points of life and death here. But at that time, I was too overwhelmed to do anything about it. Then, I was just mad that it wasn't automatic (I had lived here for 2years for god's sake), and so refused to do anything about it, out of spite. My later excuse was, "Well, we aren't going to be here much longer, so why try?" But finally, I decided I can't just stay in this little bubble forever. I am going to at least improve my skill, and see what difference it makes.

One of the best results will be learning to listen to the French news in french. I am a news junky, but the International news stations are still very US focused, and secondly UK, or the French English Speaking station for example, is so Internationally focused, I never get any truly French news. So to not understand the local news here is quite a loss. For example, the recent negotiations over the rising age for retirement, or the spate of deaths in the Bois de Vincennes, I can't get any details because I can't understand the reports. My homework assignments now include listening to and understanding (notice I didn't say translating) RFI and preparing a brief synopsis. Today I heard the story about Sister Emmanuelle, and later will work on the French arrest of the leader of the ETA (the militant arm of the Basques fighting for separation from Spain).

Mais, ce n'est pas tous français. I am also trying to explore some new English speaking things. I went to Cordon Bleu, the premier cooking school in Paris to see a demonstration cooking class (where they provided an english translator). I would strongly recommend this to any foodee who is going to visit, and they have many opportunities for someone to take this 2 hour class.

In this case, we saw the demonstration of roasting a chicken, making a foie gras terrine and the famous buche de noel - a cream filled white cake roll. The cream was mango moussiline, and the garnish was a raspberry cream and "fairy finger" meringue cookies. It was fantastic.

I did make a pumpkin and a pecan pie for Pat to take to work in honor of our T-giving, and no the french don't celebrate anything like this, neither do the brits (ha ha). I think I did incorporate a few of the Cordon Bleu techniques into my cooking (like pre-measuring all of the ingredients) but the real test will be when I try to do that menu next week; there will be pictures .

We are going to spend our Thanksgiving in Barcelona with the couple who stayed in our house the first 6 months we were here. Kind of a trading houses. They have an apartment in downtown Barcelona for their daughter who is away currently, so we will have a great time exploring Barcelone and Paco and Maria Luisia are going to take us to the coast on Saturday and maybe Sunday.

Also on the calendar next week, and definitely an english speaking event is a holiday tea at the American Ambassador's residence in Paris. The Ambassador, a first cousin of W, will be leaving soon, I am very sure, but the tradition is that the Women of the American Church has an annual tea party hosted by the Ambassador and his wife in the living quarters at the embassy. I have always wanted to see that, and this year I was given an invitation through another American friend.

We know just how lucky we are, and sometimes it is hard not to feel guilty for having so much. I will continue to write as it seems to help express the gratitude I feel to those who have supported us in this journey, but also to share some of the opportunities for learning with those who can't visit in person, but can certainly follow the trail.