07 January 2008

Greeting Cards

There is a difference between the french and americans regarding holiday greetings. The french focus on the New Year, whereas the Christmas is really much more of a family event, and not one to so much include friends or cards, etc. My friend Begonia (in Spain) said Jan. 6th is the big day for present giving there, and they leave their shoes out for the wise men to put a gift in.

We spent Christmas out of town, but sent cards to our family. When we arrived home, we had cards from the US, but our french cards and greetings didn't come until Jan 1. Then we received personal visits from neighbors, and cards and emails.

Ah yes, the emails. I found this year to be a lot different regarding electronic greetings. We received many more via email than I ever remember receiving before. The first one was a lovely card from our family friend Nancy, who went to great effort to create a personalized card that was then sent via email. We thought that was a good idea, so created the online version of our own Christmas card, which I found I sent to a lot more people than I usually do when I am mailing cards. But I have decided, it just isn't the same. Receiving the real thing, with a scribbled note and maybe pictures of the kids or pets -- that's something special.

Now my favorite card this year was one that I bought while out shopping, but that's because it so reminded me of Chi Chi. I couldn't send it to anyone because it was just too precious. But my favorite rec'd card came from my sister and her cat Russell, and said "do you think anyone will notice who drank Santa's milk?" Ha ha ha. I laughed out loud.

So, whatever your favorite holiday is, find a good card and share it with a friend. You never know what kind of mood folks are in during the holiday, and a little cheerful note is well worth the investment.