I don't have a lot to say about Biarritz, because as it was obviously the off season for this surfer's paradise in southern France, there wasn't a whole lot going on. In fact, I don't think we took any pictures there! The bartender in a cafe where Bryan and I spent a good portion of a day said there is big time surfing there but it was cooooold, and the waves were only so-so that day.
We actually spent two nights there, and it was relaxing. We had an excellent meal at a restaurant called Baleak. And I bought a sweater and turtleneck and some socks, so I was finally getting warm. After leaving there, we drove through St. Jean de Luz, but were heading to Bilbao Spain to meet a friend of a friend who had offered us an apartment for the weekend on the coast just north of Bilbao.
We stopped along the way in San Sebastian Spain, on what was a spanish national holiday. There was a great demonstration that apparently later turned into a mini-riot when the Basque separatists met up with the non-separatists who were also demonstrating.
We had a lot of trouble finding good food, not knowing the language (spanish), though this was supposed to be Bryan's strong suit. He blamed it on the language being Basque, not spanish, so said he was of no help! WE had a really funny experience trying to get service in a tapas place, where the bartender, and keeper of the plates, had to be demanded to give plates to the customers. He was absolutely refusing to serve anyone. I guess he was doing his own little strike.
So, we watched the demonstrating Basque Separatists and then headed to Gorliz to meet Begonia.