After a flurry of 8 days in Cincinnati and a 7 hour flight back to Paris, I am recovering. The jetlag coming this way is a killer.
So, I knew I wasn't in the US anymore when Sunday we went to our 2nd annual International Agricultural Salon (see march 2006 blog entry for more info). We received free tickets in the mail from wine merchants who wanted to show us their newest stuff. But we gladly would have paid the 12 euro entry price for the sheer pleasure of the experience. We made a beeline for buildings 7-1 and 7-2 Regions of France, where we knew there were amazing foods to sample. We started with a foie gras sandwich, but there was much wine drinking and grilled duck breast sandwich eating, oyster slurping and cheese sampling to follow. There were groups of men in funny hats singing and dancing in the aisles. They were playing ptonk on a temporary display, African music in the outre regions area, and did I mention wine sampling was free?
Check out the ax throwing. We watched from the safety of the walkways above.
We took a visiting American with us, and Pat and Debbie tried about 8 different kinds of alcoholic beverages, most of which were free, or really cheap, and exquisite quality. Debbie really liked the 30 year old Rhum from Martinique. Pat bought some Calvados, he will have to explain that to you, but they had beer first, then there was the wine, and did I mention the cidre (apple cider gone alcoholic). By the time it was finished, I was definitely the only one driving, and we all got on the Metro anyway. That way we don't need a designated driver...
I think we decided this event is kind of like State Fair meets Taste of the City meets Paris. What a great combination. For those of you who are wondering when to come to Paris to visit - This Week is definitely well worth the adventure.