08 January 2007

Wrapping Up





I couldn't end without some photos around the resort.










These two photos are from one of the various "spectacles" we were entertained by nightly after dinner.



And for the sake of documenting the last 24 hours of the trip, I am mentioning that we did get stuck in Dakar an extra night.




The airplane coming to pick us up, scheduled to leave Dakar at 4 a.m. on Dec 24th, got stuck in Paris on the 23rd, due to a strike that started a couple of hours before the end of the shift on the eve of Christmas eve. We had already checked out of Domaine de Naining, so Jet Tours, after much negotiation put about 40 of us up at a very old, but still elegant hotel in downtown Dakar, just about 5 minutes from the airport. Pat and I were nervous about the timing because we were thinking about our flight on Christmas day to the US. With some help from other tourists, we were actually put on an earlier flight than most of the rest of our group. I think this was because Jet Tours thought they would be responsible for paying for the US flight if we didn't get there on time, and they weren't willing to risk that.

Ultimately, we made it back to our car, in Paris at about midnight on Christmas Eve with barely enough time to change suitcases for a 9:30 a.m. flight on Christmas Day out of Paris to London to Colorado to arrive on Christmas Day, just missing CO's big blizzard.

What a great trip we had. I would recommend it to everyone, but you better learn a little french first!