So it is back to living in Paris. I have been off to a slow start, though I know it will pick up soon. The daughter of a friend is moving to Paris on Friday, and I am thrilled to be the substitute Mom who can meet her at the airport and get her settled into her apartment. She has one of the world's coolest Moms and I have been honored to get to learn from Debbie. so I am happy to hang out with her daughter for a bit. I know too, that Leilah's Dad, Tom, who recently died suddenly at only age 55-ish, will be smiling down on Leilah's big adventure. For Leilah, I am told living here for a bit is a dream come true.
The old routine has come back, get up around 8, check the email for "urgent" messages, feed Chi Chi, and then think about the day. The Friday Paris Walks start back up this week and are in the newly re-opened Museum of Decorative Arts.
Pat and I are also trying to organize all the photos from last year, and trying to get them down to a manageable number of photos for showing, storing, printing, sending, etc.
I am still doing a lot of cooking, and learning to use leeks. The subtle earthy onion flavor is very nice with meats and potatoes. Last night we made a tart (like a pie crust in a deep pie pan) with mergaise (not sure about the spelling) sausage (sort of a chipotle), diced ham, (leftover) cooked sliced potatoes, two leeks softly sautéed, all layered on top of a "tart" crust with some salt and cracked pepper. The french use these crusts for meat dishes as well as sweet fruit pie-like creations. You can buy about 6 different versions in the refrig section of the grocery.
So, you layer all that stuff in the tart crust. Then you mix in a bowl, two eggs, 1 cup of cream (think half and half), or creme frache and 8 oz. of grated greuyere cheese (parmesan will work). Bake it for about 35 minutes at 375F. We served it with our fave tossed salad, and fresh french bread. In fact, it was so fresh that the delivery guy ate the end off the loaf. :^)
BTW... France just started into what all anticipate (I think more than Christmas). "Les Soldes" meaning most stores are advertising whopper sales. Pat was all tickled because he bought some wine last night for 20% off (on his way to the patisserie for bread). It was during the Soldes last year that Grandma came to see us, and she and I spent most of our time checking out the sales. The photo is from last year, but you get the message. I will be in the thick of it tomorrow when I pick up Leilah and get her to her Parisian apartment. If you have any lists, now is the time to submit them!! Maybe we can catch a fashion show again.
Chris sent this great quote - maybe it's a new year's resolution. :0
The Master Of Living
"The Master in the art of living makes little distinction between
his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his
body, his education and his recreation, his love and his religion.
He hardly knows which is which.
He simply pursues his vision of excellence in whatever he does,
leaving others to decide whether he
is working or playing.
To him he is always doing both"
~ Zen Buddhist Text