13 August 2006

So what's an Airport to Do to make a $$

I have my computer set up to receive headlines from Europe (in English) pretty much when they are sent out on the wires, so I knew about the Heathrow Airport event very early into it. The first headline came through and just said they had made a significant arrest. In fact, it wasn't until several hours later, when the US news media market woke up that the news articles started to roll in. It was kind of weird I thought that there was no news until nearly 6 hours later.

So here I am, with two visitors who will be flying in a few days hearing the airports were shutting down (that was in a first report.) Hmmm. How safe will they be? I finally decided that they will be as safe as they were last week when they came here. And when I fly later this month, I will be as safe as I was when I flew in April. I am still safer in the air than on the ground, and frankly, flying from France is safer than flying from England.

5 years post 9-1-1 and we still seem to be treating the symptoms of terrorism and not the causes. I don't claim to have any answers, frankly, I think people usually carry way to much stuff on the plane, but it does seem nearly impossible to think we will stop terrorism by purging everyone's carry on luggage of toothpaste and shampoo. I was surprised to hear that one of the early reports that no electronic devices were going to be allowed was actually rescinded. Sounds like big business got their way there, you can get on with a laptop, cell phone and handheld electronic device, but not your liquid medication?

There is an interesting fall out here, I think. And maybe this is because I am now living in a country that makes a lot of money by selling wine and perfume to tourists. The boutiques in the airports are going to be big losers, which means airports are going to lose rent and revenue dollars. No more duty free booze, wine, perfume, make-up, body gels, etc. are going to be sold to those passengers now waiting 3+ hours in the airports, unless of course you are going to drink it there!

Gone are the days when you could go wait with your traveling friends or watch planes taking off for something fun to do, so that has cut into the airport stores markets, and now so to are the days when you can pick something up at the last minute. In France's airport they just finished installing vending machines for 24 hour sales of perfumes, liquors, chocolates and any traveling size personal hygiene products, most of which must now be used at the airport or thrown away.

There has been some businesses that are ahead of the curve. I know all the rage now is the manicure/pedicure and massage booths at the airport, and people will still be able to buy paperbacks, candy bars, and gum, but when will that be outlawed, too? Richard Reed nearly forced the outlawing of shoes on airplanes. Maybe we will all be riding in those little disposable flip flops and paper gowns soon. Could be a little chilly...