10 April 2006

Visiting Paris - Packing, Shoes, Bags

Packing tips - From at least November on, it stays cool to downright cold during the day and there are bursts of rain still through May. So layering is a best bet and prevents too much bulk in your suitcase. Bring a rain jacket think long and layers. Now that spring is coming you can get away with shoes instead of boots, but boots are all the rage. I recommend a scarf to add an extra layer, and there are beautiful scarves for men and women available on every corner for every price range. Gloves are no longer necessary, and hats are seen here much more often than in the states.

You can get any toiletry you need here and it is fun looking for a European equivalent so don't pack a lot of that stuff. Leave your blow dryer at home. You are on vacation!!! BUT - pack your medications on your smallest carry on and not in your luggage, even if you are carrying your luggage.

Shoes -- did I mention walking? Let me tell you this - I have worn a pedometer almost every day that I have lived here. I have walked nearly six miles everyday and more when I have gone into Paris. Some days, like when visiting Versaille - I walked nearly nine miles in a day. PLEASE train for this. Blisters, and sore calves will ruin your trip and make mine really unpleasant. Shin splints seem to be a common malady, and are killers when you have to walk up the steps out of the Metro. Get some good walking shoes, with only a slight heel. I love BORN shoes. I have recently been eyeing Mephistos, spend the money to get fitted with something that will support your feet. You will see the most amazing boots and shoes here on men and women- I don't know how comfortable they are. I go for cushioning and support. Pick your style - but remember pain will ruin your trip.

Purse/Bag/Backpack
You will carry some kind of bag. Most of the men carry a commuter bag or soft sided briefcase. Women typically carry an over the shoulder purse that goes across their chest and is slim and small and they also have a bag for their purchases, extra sweater, book for the train, umbrella, etc. As Michelle explained. You only want your most valuable items close to you, and the rest you need to carry for conveniences. One backpack per group is usually reasonable for the camera, guide book, purchases etc. I don't recommend fanny packs. They mark you as a tourist, and are easy to get into for a thief. Besides, some people are tempted to take them off and hang them on a chair...well that's not good. Be polite with that backpack -- on the train, put that big backpack on the floor or under your seat so you don't whap the short girl standing behind you....

SPECIAL EVENTS - SEE MAKE A PLAN
A nice side trip is taking the Eurostar into London for a night and seeing a show. I haven't done it but now have known two groups who have and both said it was a blast.

Also, if you think you want to go to the opera or ballet - let me know ahead of time. The tickets aren't expensive (by our standards) but they sell out quickly and are hard to get at the last minute. When you get here, be sure to pick up L'Official, this is a great little weekly publication (in french) with all the movies, plays, exhibitions, special events, etc. There is another version - Pariscope, it's okay too. These are both published on Wednesday, but for €.40 you can afford them, and they are fun to look through. Suzanne & Gretchen found out that Monday night is discount movie night in Paris, and they had fun seeing a British movie with french subtitles in a Parisienne theatre for half price.