My French teacher and I ventured to the Musée de Luxembourg to view the Phillipes Exhibit. We purchased our tickets online at billet-coupe-file, which means "tickets that cut the line" and it's a good thing we did. The line wove around the outside of the museum on this cold Friday afternoon. We spent less time on the exhibit than we would have waiting in line. The gallery is small with a large gift shop and the exhibit was only 50 paintings, rather non exciting, and very crowded. I guess I don't understand abstract art. Fortunately, there were some early Picassos, Manet and a few other early impressionists whose works were beautiful, but I will take Musée d'Orsay every time. Though, a beautiful painting of a woman bathing in a blue room by Picasso was actually worth the whole show. There was also a still life by Gaugin that I recognized from my childhood Sundays at the farm, looking at the slides and art book with my sisters, giggling about the nude women and wondering where these "pictures" were now.
When we left Luxembourg gardens, we walked across the square of St. Sulpice past the church, down to St. Germain. It was a windy cold day, and I was learning about Paris - not French, Paris. We stopped at the post office and I was explained the international postage packages; similar to Priority Mail, but with more options. We talked about banking, housing costs, taxes and an extremely expensive patisserie Herme The macaroons were $37 per box! That is so expensive, I don't know if I could eat the gorgeous pastries. There was a line out the door however; and Michelle said there are always people waiting to get into the tiny little store. Michelle praised my new little brown purse and we talked about where French women buy their clothes, and when. (Only on sale and labels are gauche.)
Tea was in the Cafe de Flore. Its art deco interior was beautiful, but the history was even more impressive. The likes of Hemingway and Jean Paul Sartre once drank there. My heart was thrilled to see a table of people putting out a mailing! Scribbling return addresses, stuffing and hand addressing envelopes. I wonder if they were demanding a revolution! It was all I could do not to offer to help. The beautiful intimate setting, with blooming plants in the window boxes, despite the cold, impecably dressed waiters (at 4 in the afternoon)and wonderful cups of café, it was no wonder Sartre and de Beauvoir spent time there. The view of St. Germain is stunning.
Michelle and I sipped our darjeeling tea on the second floor, in non-smoking! and watched as the shoppers, the tourists and the business people met and relaxed. I thought of my wonderful spot at the Coffee Emporium, and the oh-so-important business that has been conducted there. Do yourself a favor, languish in a coffee house, where ever you find it, and have a good pastry. The experience is life enriching