Lessons learned during our adventures abroad. Where do Feminism, autonomy and true love intersect?
26 January 2006
Invisibility Cloak
Every day for the last two months I had the sensation that I was invisible. This belief is probably clear evidence of my silent fear that I am a selfish self-centered individual. So there is no surprise when I tell you, I love the fact that in my town, I know a lot of people, and a lot of people know me. I rarely go anywhere that I am not likely to run into someone I know, and I find my friends, everywhere. What is more fun than running into someone who you didn't expect to see? There is sheer pleasure at the surprise of the encounter. You know the sensation, "Hey! Nancy!(hug and laughter follows)", or "Hey, I thought you were in France!" For example, on this first trip home in three months, I was thilled that at 7:00 a.m. in my hometown airport, I saw V.Dan coming the other direction heading towards his gate in the airport. We were both delighted. Before I had even picked up my luggage,I had a hug. That is joy. I think what I am learning about myself is, I measure quality of life by the friends I have around me. I know that as I become more engaged in my new community, learn the language and meet more friends, I will slowly shed the invisibility cloak, but for now, it is really nice to come home where hugs can come at any time.