03 August 2006

We are definitely disabled

But do we qualify for a special parking place? I am not so sure. Pat and I laughed tonight as we thought about the progress we are making adapting to this foreign land. We can now order dinner in any restaurant, and make small talk with our French speaking friends, as long as they know enough English to bridge the gaps, when the story gets too complicated.

I successfully argued and won! yesterday at the post office, and Pat has been able to surprise someone when he finally admits that he is an American, though I don't think the other listener was following the conversation very closely...

I can negotiate almost any train station in a 100km radius, and I know about how much a kilo and a kilometer are. I like cheese that is not yellow, and I almost tried a snail last night, but then no one ordered them.

I know the difference between haricots vert and green beans, and can properly conjugate at least two tenses of verbs and more often than not, folks will now believe I am at least familiar with the area - that is until I open my mouth and say "bonjour." There is something about that southern Ohio French accent that is just not right!





This is a view of the cafe that is at the foot of the "new tower" at Chartres cathedral, famous for the cobalt blue stained glass and for housing the relic believed to be the veil of Mary. Descea, Ashley and I went up to the top of the North Tower, 948 steps up, and took this photo looking down. Where's Pat you ask? Firmly planted on the ground.